Join me for eight half-day sessions starting in January. Read more below for a description.
Have you ever heard of a “couch to marathon” training program? The idea is that no matter your fitness level or experience running, you can train to run a marathon within a certain amount of time, given the right structured training.
This is the same, but the idea is to go from zero experience working with data all the way through to the ability to tell a cohesive and compelling data story, with visuals.
In this class, you will learn:
- Data literacy (the critical thinking skills about how to think about and work with data)
- Data analytics
- Data cleaning and transformation with Excel (Power Query)
- Data analytics (in Excel, including pivot tables and visualization)
- Data storytelling & visualization concept development
- Data visualization execution (in Excel & Power BI & some other tools)
- Identifying patterns, trends, and outliers in data
- Interpreting data and unearthing insights aligned to a business need
- Focusing on the true “so what” in your data
- Generating a compelling narrative based on data for any audience
- Producing nuanced visualizations to bring your data to life to support and clarify your story
- Applying best practices when presenting data to an audience
Who this is for:
- People in any role in any organization with little to no experience working with data
- People in any role in any organization with experience doing data analytics but who need help with data storytelling and visualization
This class will be limited to just 10 participants for the data literacy and analytics segment, and up to 20 for the data storytelling and visualization segment. In addition to the 8 weeks of content (4 hours per week in-class, plus some light homework between sessions), attendees will have access to Bill Shander for at least 1 hour of one-on-one mentoring/consulting sessions throughout the course, as needed. And there will be a cumulative capstone project you work on throughout the course – developing a data story from raw data to delivery
Because people who already know data analytics may need help just with data storytelling & visualization, the second half of the course is open to more people and can be attended without joining the first half.
This workshop is a combination of all of these workshops I currently offer:
But this will go beyond what is offered in all of the above. The data analytics work will be more than just an introduction to some Excel skills and will also include an in-depth exploration of a data set as a group and individually. The data storytelling & visualization workshop will include a deeper dive into more knowledge and nuance around chart selection, annotation, and other more advanced data visualization concepts. And we will even cover creating visualizations in some tools, which I normally don’t cover in the main workshops.
YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR THE ENTIRE WORKSHOP OR JUST THE SECOND HALF (THE DATA STORYTELLING & VISUALIZATION SEGMENT)
Sessions will be held:
- Tues Jan 18, 1-5pm ET
- Tues Jan 25, 1-5pm ET
- Tues Feb 1, 1-5pm ET
- Tues Feb 8, 1-5pm ET
- Mon Feb 14, 1-5pm ET
- Tues Feb 15, 1-5pm ET
- Mon Feb 28, 1-5pm ET
- Tues Mar 1, 1-5pm ET
The sessions will be recorded and you will have access to the recordings to refer back to after the session for at least 6 months.
Reach out to me directly if you prefer to pay via an invoice rather than buying tickets directly on Eventbrite.